Honoring York by building
The Sergeant York Historic Trail
The Sergeant York Discovery Expedition (SYDE) completed the initial building of The Sergeant York Historic Trail and Memorial park in the Argonne Forest west of Châtel Chéhéry, France. The trail was officially opened on OCT 4th 2008 in conjuction with the 90th anniversary of the action which earned SGT. York the Medal of Honor.
The historic trial is about a two-mile walk through the forest to where SGT York earned the Medal of Honor on 8 October 1918. There are 9 signs along the trail to guide visitors through the battlefield and point out the significant moments during the battle. The trail leads to the York Monument located near the actual spot where York fought off the German bayonet attack. Nearby is a second marker honoring all 17 Soldiers who helped in the actions that day.
Why Memorialize SGT York?
• York was a Medal of Honor recipient, a Patriot, a Christian and the most famous American in World War One.
Why a Memorial?
• To honor the sacrifices and the memory of all who served in France 90 years ago
Why an Historic Trail?
• To give visitors to the Argonne the opportunity to walk where York and his fellow soldiers walked.
• To serve as part of the Boy Scouts of America Meuse-Argonne Historic Trail in France.
• To preserve this important part of American History for future generations.
• Sign improvements: The wooden frames on information signs on each signpost along the trail need to be replaced due to age and weathering. - 0% Complete
• Roadwork: An area of the road-portion of the trail needs a new drainage system installed. 50% COMPLETE
(A pipe has been installed however a more substantial drainage system is needed)
• Reflection benches: So visitors can sit, rest and reflect on the sacrifice of others. - 50% COMPLETE
(One bench is now in place, a second bench is desired in a shaded area of the park)
• Retaining wall: To encircle the back/upper side of the park area to improve the overall aesthetics and control erosion of the hillside. - Curbstones now circle the park area on a temporary basis.
These Improvements are now complete thanks to the generosity of people like you. - Thank you.
• Ground cover: Ground cover is needed to help reduce erosion of the park grounds. - COMPLETE
• Water navigation: The trail passes through a very wet portion of the forest. Improvements
are needed to make this area more easily passable. - COMPLETE
• Direction and information signs for the trail ~ COMPLETE
• Construction and placement of a memorial stone ~ COMPLETE
• Dedication ceremony ~ COMPLETE
To help us improve The Sergeant York Historic Trial and Monument and thus preserve the York legacy
and the memory of all those who sacrificed all for freedom, please
click on the "Make a Donation" button below to donate
via Credit Card, PayPal
mail a check or money order payable in US funds to:
SGT York Monument Fund & Bill Rudge Ministries
P.O. Box 108 Sharon, PA 16146
A donation receipt will be sent for all donations.
All donations are tax-deductable.
All funds received are used directly for the improvement and maintenance
of the SGT. York Trail and Monument.
Utilization of funds:
• Improvement of the Sergeant York Historic Trail ~ ON-GOING
• General maintenance of the trail, memorial and signs ~ ON-GOING
Click the button below to Make a Donation to the Sergeant York Historic Trail and Monument